Friday, July 12, 2013

Welcome to my mass-experienced monological quasi-interaction*.

Hello! This blog is about globalisation and media, something that binds us all together, wherever we are and whether we realise it or not. Please let me know where you are in the world if and when you comment. 

I'm Mary-Anne, a 51 year old student doing my first undergraduate degree in Media and Communications at Deakin University in Burwood, Melbourne. I commenced a communications degree when I first left high school - in 1980! - but dropped out after 6 months. I'd discovered life and it was far too interesting and incompatible with study, or so I thought then. 

I grew up in Sydney in the 60s and 70s and remember when an overseas phone call to my dad's family in Holland was an expensive and rare event.  I first travelled overseas in 1984 and sent airmail letters, which took more than a week to arrive, back home to my mum and dad. I have friends and family both here in Australia and in UK and Europe, and have reconnected with many of them in the last 5 years, mostly thanks to Facebook.

My work history has been in secretarial and administrative positions, both here and in London. My favourite job was  working as PA to a museum director, and the least favourite job was working in a clothing store. 

After 15 years out of the workforce raising my children, I completed a Cert. IV in Graphic Arts at TAFE in 2007 which only whetted my appetite for higher education. 

I'm interested in visual communication, art and design. I'm  loving uni and don't really want to finish - there's so much to learn. 

The internet has opened up the world even more. I love that I can share in other people's creativity on Behance, Facebook, Pinterest, or Tumblr. It amazes me that I can admire the work of someone who lives 12,000kms away on the other side of this planet, 'talk' to them on Facebook and learn that they're coming here to talk at a seminar. I'm going to that for sure.

This is my monologue, but you can join in. I'd love to hear from you, and you can also visit my other blog which is about my art and design inspiration at http://maryannestuart.com/

* Rantanen, T (2005) The Media and Globalisation, Sage, London p10

No comments:

Post a Comment